Genevieve Garvan Brady

1934

Genevieve Garvan Brady

During the first World War, Mrs. Brady purchased the Old Colony Club in New York City and allowed it to be used by the United States government as a mobilization center for nurses bound for the battlefields of Europe. She was decorated by the French and Belgian governments after the war and for her financial aid to refugees. Under Eleanor Roosevelt, she was vice chairman of the National Women’s Committee on Welfare and Relief Mobilization. She was the 11th woman to receive the medal.